Wednesday, May 25, 2016

Day 1: We arrived

I don't know if it was the combination of excitement, anxiety or my general insomnia that kept me from sleeping during the 10 hour flight. But as the pilot announced our descent and Lemonade played from my headphones, sleep was of no concern.

The instant the landscape changed from clouds to grounds, the whole plane darted their heads to catch a glimpse. Smiles crept onto our faces. Some passengers stared at their home they were returning to, and others at their entry point to the "motherland." Ghana was on the horizon and it was already beautiful. We landed just as the sun reached its peak and as Beyonce's"Freedom" rang.

A flight from Dakar arrived at the same time and the airport was mayhem. But an hour or so later we were outside, and there were beautiful women and men carrying everything from baskets, food, and work materials on top of their heads. We quickly learned that everything could be bought in traffic. 2 young men riding horses waved. The smiles were plentiful.

I'm settled into the dorms now and the AC feels lovely. It's rainy season, and apparently "much cooler".... It's hot af. Also, I already semi-electrocuted myself trying to finagle with my adaptors. Ow.

Time is so leisurely here, which makes it feel like an immediate vacation from the pace of New York City. Everything takes time, but time is also not an issue. I've already contacted some artists who I'm looking to interview. We'll meet eventually. Right now I'm just soaking it all in, trying not to miss anything and remember everything.

'Till next time.





No comments:

Post a Comment